Bicycle Users Group
If you wish to become a member of the Falmouth and Penryn Campus Bicycle Users Group (BUG) please email email@example.com. As a BUG member you will receive:
- Regular updates on whats happening with regards to cycling on our campuses
- Get involved in consultations
- Receive regular email updates with cycling information and special offers in local shops
- Get invited to our termly BUG meetings
On Campus Facilities
We provide showers and changing facilities free of charge for cyclists at Falmouth and Penryn campuses and there are also secure cycle storage facilities.
Free cycle maintenance stations are available 24/7 at Penryn and Falmouth campuses. Need to adjust your brakes, tighten a nut or pump up your tyres? Pop along and use the stations for free. The workstations are comprised of an integrated work stand, pump and essential bike tools. Located at Penryn Campus – between the rear of the fitness centre and the design centre, next to the steps. At Falmouth Campus – in the cycle storage, adjacent to the car park by the Creative Advertising studios, below Tannachie building.
Cycle to Work Scheme
We offer the Cycle to Work Scheme which is a Falmouth Exeter Plus employee benefit and is the most cost effective way to purchase bikes and cycling equipment. The scheme is run via salary sacrifice and spreads the cost over 12 months. You can save up to 40% from bikes or cycling equipment and it is a great way to get fit and reduce your travel emissions. For further information on the scheme and to apply please visit the Cycle scheme Portal
There is also free bike tool loan available at the Penryn Campus (ask at the Fitness Centre and at Glasney Lodge).
There are a number of cycle shops within Falmouth and Penryn which offer discounts to students and staff, these are listed on the Falmouth and Penryn Active Travel map:
- Bikeworks Falmouth – offers parts, labour and accessories on production of a valid staff or student card
- Cog – 10% off parts, servicing and accessories on production of a valid staff or student card
- Cycle Solutions Bicycle Workshop – offers 10% discounts on work and parts above the service price of £45. Services for repairs, parts and accessories – visit their Facebook(link is external) page to get in touch or for more information
- Falmouth Cycles – offers bikes and accessories on production of a valid staff or student card
Second hand bikes are available to purchase at the following places:
- Cycle Solutions, Penryn
- Cyclelogic, Helston
- Clive Mitchell Cycles, Truro
- Bike Chain, Redruth
- Cornwall Life recycle(link is external), Camborne
- Private Sales
- Classifieds in West Briton and Falmouth Packet newspapers
- Preloved(link is external)
- Gumtree(link is external)
- FreeCycle(link is external)
- Facebook: Bicycles for Sale in Cornwall and Devon(link is external)
- Bike Chain – Bissoe Bike Hire(link is external)
- Fal Cycling Campaign(link is external) – promotes cycling and lobbies for better provision in Falmouth and Penryn
- Falmouth Bike Park(link is external) – Four-Cross track (national standard) all welcome
- 1 South West(link is external) – A website dedicated to off-road cycling in the South-West with interactive map
- The Track(link is external) – Five acres of dirt jumps near Redruth suitable for dirt jumps and BMX’s, including foam pit and resi ramp (cycle hire for use at The Track also available)
- Bike Ride Repair Guide(link is external) – A really great free guide on how to repair and look after your bike
Cornwall’s Mineral Tramways Trails
This is one of the largest networks of its kind in Britain, tracking Cornwalls’ mining heritage. The coast to coast trail(link is external), linking the Atlantic coast on the North to the Fal Estuary on the South, is surprisingly flat. It follows the former routes of the former Portreath Tram Road, Redruth and Chacewater railway. There are many loops you can take to extend your ride and experience a more challenging terrain and off road activities, great for mountain biking. There’s something for everyone, of all levels and abilities from mild to extreme. The trail is almost all off road, so it’s great for the less experienced rider. For more information, visit the Sustrans website(link is external).
FX Plus is working in partnership with Devon and Cornwall Police to ensure the security of students and staff bicycles. Students and staff have the opportunity to have the personal cycles marked with security provided by BikeRegister.
BikeRegister(link is external) is the UK’s leading online bicycle identification and registration initiative aiming to reduce cycle theft, identify stolen bikes and assist in owner recovery. It is the preferred marking product of the Met Police’s Cycle Task Force and is currently being used by every UK Police Force.
The cost to students and staff is zero as the universities and the police are subsidising this.
This kit holds the police-approved ‘Secured By Design’ badge and consists of:
1. Permanent, visible etched mark on the frame of the bike
2. A BikeRegister warning label
3. Lifetime registration on our Police Approved database
4. A logbook printed off for the owner’s account on BikeRegister website
5. A secure online account where owners can amend bike or address details