November 29, 2021
Our Top Ten Sustainability Highlights for the 2020 – 2021 Academic Year
It’s been over two years since the University of Exeter and Falmouth University declared a climate and environment emergency. Even in amongst a global pandemic, both institutions have been actively transforming themselves to raise the climate agenda across the student curriculum and life on campus. At FX Plus, our operations are pivotal for this to happen, so here are our top ten sustainability highlights:
- Launched the FX Plus 2030 Sustainability Strategy & Policy. These two files outline our climate and environment targets, objectives and projects. The strategy ultimately outlines how we’re going embedding sustainability across FX Plus and how this supports the universities independent sustainability strategies.
- Last academic year we recorded a 47% drop in energy emissions per m2 for Penryn Campus based against our 2005 to 2006 AY baseline. This follows the integration of energy efficient infrastructure we are implementing across campus.
- Sustainability Week 2021 was another great success – we hosted 35 events open to all staff, students and the local community. Recordings for these sessions can be found here.
- We produced our first comprehensive carbon emission profile for the University of Exeter including Penryn Campus. The same profiling system was used in collaboration with Falmouth University, working together on shared climate reduction and sustainability targets.
- Following campus lockdown, we dedicated 4.5 acres of land on Penryn Campus for wildflowers. Last year, we maintained and improved the quality of these areas through volunteering events.
- As part of the grounds biodiversity agenda, we have also designed and installed four customised biodiversity signs as well as a series of signs illustrating areas for regeneration and wildflowers, which we hope to help educate our campus community about their local natural environment and inspire them to engage in conservation and sustainability.
- Our procurement team partnered with Net Positive Futures to initiate data collection and climate action plans amongst our supply chain. Our aim is for 100% of our supply chain to have completed this by the end of 2022.
- We launched our flagship Sustainability Café with the new building extension to the Daphne du Maurier building. The café along with its outstanding views of the ocean, offers seasonal and locally sourced produce, organic where possible and a variety of vegan and vegetarian options.
- Our Penryn Campus was awarded the bronze award with the British Hedgehog Preservation Society Hedgehog Friendly Campus program. This follows a series of initiatives implemented by the grounds team to protect and raise awareness on hedgehog safety across campus.
- Penryn Campus was also awarded the Green Flag zone award for the fourth year running. This continues the campuses excellent approach to the protection and regeneration of ecology.
Any questions or if you would like to learn more, please email email@example.com.