September 25, 2023
The Ecological Citizen Course launches on Penryn campus this week, starting on Friday 29th September. For the last 12 months, the Ecological Citizenship Course has been co-created by students, staff, and our community in response to the ecological crisis. This course is open to all students and staff at Falmouth University, University of Exeter in Cornwall, FX Plus and the SU.
The course aims to nurture creative responses to the climate and ecological predicament faced by us all, and is a supportive space which encourages collective learning, creative enquiry and addresses eco-anxiety. The course is particularly relevant to all those interested in thinking about and shaping the systems of change at play in our world.
Participants will learn by doing through talks, discussions, and workshops. There will also be practical sessions like tree planting, citizen science, ecological structure building, food growing, art making, community service and much more.
The weekly course will usually take place every Wednesday, but the launch and Fireside Feast has been moved to Friday 29th September due to high winds and rain expected this Wednesday (27th Sep).
Those attending the course will now meet on Friday (29th Sep) for a Fireside Feast in the Amphitheatre, outside Peter Lanyon building at 4pm. The Ecological Citizen Course will end with a celebratory Festival Gathering and ‘graduation’ in June.
Reasons to join
- Connect with a diverse group of people invested in responding to the ecological crisis.
- Learn more about the systems at play in our changing world.
- Support your creative practice.
- Process emotions and foster pathways for hope.
- Learn by doing. Attend talks, discussions, and workshops, but also practical sessions like tree planting, citizen science, ecological structure building, food growing, art making, community service and more.
- Develop future facing communication and leadership skills.
- In this course, no one is in charge, and everyone is in charge.
- Have fun. The course will end with a festival for participants and its own ‘graduation’ event.
How do I sign up?
To find out more and to register, visit the webform here.