Frequently Asked Questions

What support does the University offer a student with physical or mental health difficulties?

The Accessibility Team advises students with disabilities, learning differences, long term health & mental health conditions.

The Accessibility team can create an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) which will put reasonable academic adjustments and exam adjustments in place, i.e., extensions to deadlines.

If a young person requires additional support such as equipment, software or 1:1 support such as mentoring and study skills support. This support is provided by Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which is funded by Student Finance.

The Accessibility Team can help you apply for this additional funding. If you are not entitled to DSA the University may be able to fund some support, please contact Accessibility about this.